1) Most accounting marketers are afraid to or are not empowered to say “no” to bad marketing ideas presented by partners.
2) They aren’t learning enough about direct marketing from direct marketing professionals or organizations such as the DMA.
3) Marketing strategy is replaced with reactive tactics.
4) Many are not career marketers – they are accountants who want to be marketers or feel they are.
5) They are not students of marketing.
There are many exceptions out there, but the list above is something that I’ve noticed over 8 years of being in the financial services marketing, after 15 years before that with manufacturing, sports marketing and Internet marketing.